You're going to be on a Podcast!!
Aren't you stoked?
Thank you again for being willing to be a guest on the show! I cannot wait to speak with you. My main focus moving into this new season of the show is to highlight the stories of atheists just like you. People who are willing to boldly live a life without faith, sometimes surrounded by religious people. Below are a few suggestions to make sure we have a kickass time talking.
- RELAX! You're not speaking to 600-800 people, it's just you and I talking. Try to look at it as just you and I speaking, that will probably reduce some nerves. Nerves are normal, I was nervous when I was on the "Life After God" podcast so I get it. Relax and be you. (wine helps)
- Believe you have something to offer. You may not have a "dramatic story" but your message is important! Remember, everyone has something to offer someone. You won't believe the encouragement you will give to people listening!
- You don't have to answer any questions you don't want to answer.
- Everything can be fixed or edited, don't worry if you say something you didn't mean to say, we can fix it.
- HAVE FUN! People are going to hear your story! 600-800 people will hear your voice, you will change lives!
About the interview
- They all start the same way:
- I'll introduce you
- I'll ask you how long you've been an atheist and what your previous religious experience was, after that we see where we go.
- If you prefer to use a pseudonym that's 100% okay. We will only use the name you prefer or I'll make one up for you, I've come up with some good ones!
- If you get stuck or lost that's okay, I've got you!
- This is a time to talk about YOU! If you have a passion, pet project, business, let's talk about it. This is about you, your life, and your experience on this planet, we want to hear about it, even if it's uncomfortable.
- We're aiming for 30-45 minutes, a little more or a little less is totally okay
- Even though we may use the video feature on skype for a more "face to face" experience the video will not be recorded, just the audio.
Some technical stuff:
- I prefer to have the video feature turned on during our interview, this gives us more of a face to face feel. The video will not be saved or rebroadcast, only the audio.
- Since audio is the only thing we rebroadcast it is imperative that you have a strong internet connection. A strong Wi-Fi connection is preferable. Technology is wonderful until it's not. If your internet connection is not strong or we have too many disconnections I will call you and we will continue over the phone instead of over the data network. If we are not connected to Wi-Fi turning off the video feature will sometimes help with the connection.
- You will need some type of headset configuration. In most cases your earbuds with attached mic will work fine. We cannot do the interview on speakerphone or just with the mic on your computer, there's too much feedback and echo.
- Do the best you can to find a quiet space. I know you may have kids and dogs and birds but please try to minimize the background noise as much as you can.
- Please eat or smoke (if you smoke) before our interview, chewing and the flick of the lighter can be heard on the microphone (yes, this has actually happened!) I cannot stress this enough, please do not eat or smoke during our interview!
- Please log on to skype and add me youratheistpastor or live:youratheistpastor if you have trouble finding me please message me on facebook or instagram, or email me email@example.com
After the interview:
By the end of 2018 we will have interviewed over 30 atheists (aren't we cool)?! Here are a few things to consider for after the interview.
- You will probably experience what Brene Brown calls a "vulnerability hangover" after the interview. You will remember all the things you wish you would have said. You will replay it over and over and over in your mind, and you will probably message me (or you'll want to) saying something along the lines of "if you don't want to play my interview that's okay, I didn't really have anything of value to say." This is completely normal, and 100% wrong. EVERYONE has something of value from their interview... EVERYONE.
- If you would like a copy of your edited interview to review before it is played please let me know in advance so I can make sure I get it done with plenty of time for you to listen to it.
- You have the choice on whether or not you'd like to be tagged on social media platforms.
- The week before your interview is played I will reach out to you to let you know it's your week, give you sufficient time to hyperventilate, and then tell you that your interview was amazing, because it was.
- You're part of the family now! It takes courage and strength to share your story no matter what your history is. Being vulnerable and putting yourself out there is a huge deal, thank you so much for taking the time!
- Feel free to reach out whenever you want or need to. Anyone who has been interviewed always takes center stage when I hear from them!
If you have any other questions please reach out. I can't wait to meet you!!!